Skip to main content

2013 Color & Design Forecast

I really enjoy attending seminars and learning about the latest forecasts in color & design.  Recently I attended a webinar on “Colors for 2013”. 
  
The way it works is, colors are always available, but each year colors tend to get tweaked a little.  Say for instance, the color ‘orange’.  We all know what orange looked like in the 70’s.  Orange is still very present in today’s designs, but it currently has a much more ‘earthy’ quality to it.  So, what are the new colors we are going to see? (I’m so glad you asked-snort!)

RED:  We are supposed to see a deep sophisticated red in 2013 that is influenced by blue & quite often ‘blackened’.  There will also be some red-orange paired with hot pink! 

ORANGE:  The new orange will be a deeper coral color.  There will also be more of a pull towards what they call ‘cosmetic hues’ – a peachy orange.  We will also see some caramel/butterscotch, what I call ‘yummy’ oranges. J

YELLOW:  The new yellows will be golden & acidic.  Think citrus yellows paired with purple or grey.  Different huh?!

GREEN:  Bold “Kelly Greens” will be mixed with “Chartreuse” spring-like greens.  We’ll see some Sea-foam, Jade & retro 50’s greens paired with ivory

BLUE:  The new blue will be a range of navys to muted blue grey.  We’ll see more turquoise & teals too.  There will also be more periwinkles.

PURPLE:  Purple will be muted paired with yellow & neutrals.  There will be a very muted berry version mixed with “Fuchsias”.


NUETRALS:   We always have our neutrals, but they are getting more complex, which I find very exciting.  There are more undertones that are going to appear.  They will be mixing warm & cool for a layered look.  Lots of influence from reclaimed wood will be found in our taupes & grays.  And once again the cosmetic tones will play a part in the new neutral pallet. 

As we know neutrals never go away-they are a constant but if we had to choose one of the above colors that is going to linger…they say it will be Purple!  I have an aunt who will be very excited to hear this! ;)  Actually I’ve been drawn to purples a lot lately and I’m seeing in used a lot more in children’s spaces.
Interior styles have always kind been broken down into about five different categories:
1. Sleek (Modern & Contemporary-Clean Lines)
2. Traditional (Formal, Ornate, Heritage)
3. Earthy (Ethnic, Global, International)
4. Casual (Rustic, Country, Character)
5. Color (Animation, Vibrant, Playful). 
About 10 years ago, the word ‘eclectic’ was on the tip of everyone’s tongue.  It described what was supposed to be a “collected” look…before long it was the go-to description by everyone who didn’t know what style their home was.  Then, I’d say for the last 5 years, a new interior descriptive word has crept in-that word is “transitional”.  Have you heard that one?  Have you used it to describe your own home?  Transitional meant clean traditional lines, but without the ornate fussiness.  It also allowed us to weave in different style categories as the transitional selections became very neutral & acted as almost a back drop to display different unique items.
So what is next?  Well, the ‘blend’ certainly hasn’t gone away, that’s for sure!  Now we call it “intersections”.  Weaving various styles sometimes with a blunt balance (what I call the mullet of interior design) and sometimes the blend is smooth (which is what I personally prefer). 
Fine examples of modern and old architecture in Bydgoszcz, Poland.
People are being more mindful about using what they have & repurposing.  You may have heard the new term “up-cycle”.  Up-cycle refers to taking useless items and reusing them for a greater purpose.  
 
Maria Westerberg's T-shirt chairs

With virtual worlds like, Facebook & Pintrest growing, people are sharing and networking more DIY ideas.  I think this is helping the “handcrafted movement” to come back.  I’m seeing it everywhere.  Items that were formerly discouraged from remaining in a room are making their way back.  People have attachments to things that are created or uniquely handcrafted, especially items from family and friends.  So, use that old blanket Grandma spent hours making, let it be an accent in your living room!  Another great way to weave some of these handmade items into your space, (if you are still uncomfortable with how they will translate) is to custom frame them.  You’ll be surprised how the right design can compliment a handmade doily while transposing it into your space.  How do you do this?  By selecting matting that works with the doily, but finding a moulding/frame that works with your space.  This concept applies to all accents.  Say you have your child’s first piece of pottery; find additional pieces that harmonize with the colors in the pottery surrounding it with a common denominator but perhaps a different shape that is conducive to your space.  It will look like it belongs.    

Do you feel you struggle with the details of color selection & accent placement?  Give us a call-we are always happy to help! 

Colors used are Benjamin Moore - images by Target, Restoration Hardware, and Fab.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Visit to Magnolia Market - Silos

I've been busy--it's been difficult to make time for blogging!  However, my visit to Magnolia Market I feel, is *blog-worthy*.  😆 So I'm making time to write  at 10:00pm .  Right off, let me answer the top two questions everyone's been asking.  Then, I'll expand into the nitty gritty of my visit. 1. Did I meet Chip & JoAnna Gaines?  No.  I tried to check their appearance schedule and even went as far as to try to schedule a meeting with their public relations team member...but they were busy the week I was there. 2. Is it worth traveling to see?  My answer is to, wait.  Is it worth it?  Yes, but there's still work to be done, and if you're traveling as far as I did...you might want to go when it's more complete.  It was still great, but I think there's reasons to wait. If you are planning a trip in the near future regardless of my "wait" comment--I recommend you go in October 6-8th when they are having their Johnnyswim c

Sometimes a Designer has to ask for HELP

Whew, it's been awhile since my last entry; I've been a busy bee! I've had renovation after renovation nonstop!  Last year we completed a church that was new construction, a master bath renovation, a basement, countless color & furniture consultations, and a kitchen and sunroom renovation...I'm sure I'm missing stuff...it was a very busy year for L&L!  Then, my husband shocked us all by ending the year with open-heart surgery!  Literally right after returning from Northwestern (hospital) we learned we are expecting BABY #3! So, here I am, my hubby's doing great, we've been back to work for several months and my wardrobe is getting more, um, "difficult".  I decided to treat this "season" with a full closet overhaul.  I've started packing away things I know will take awhile to fit back into...and my closet is somewhat empty! I'm so busy with work these days, and I HATE shopping for maternity clothes.  I pulled out my ma

Visual Story-telling Through Art & Interiors

(If you've already read this post, scroll down to the bottom for the updated images!) One of the things that make my design process unique is the way I use art.   Many people think of art as an afterthought, or just an accessory.     When I can, I try to use it as inspiration to build a room from.    That is exactly what I did when designing my kitchen.   About 12 years ago, I purchased my first pieces of art, which included these two great vintage magazine covers.   I love their personality, history, and humor.   My goal was to evoke that *feeling* in our kitchen.   I also used a literal translation, by mimicking the colors in the art.   You’ll see the same colors in my barstool fabric, my cabinets, and even the cream background of the art is what I used in selecting my countertops. Here are the vintage magazine covers I used.   Being a picky eater growing up, I could totally relate to wanting to feed the dog under the table…and anyone who knows me knows that while